If you are an employer looking for the best interview questions to ask candidates in a job interview, you’ve come to the right place. This list of 55 interview questions divided into 11 categories contains every question you’ll ever need to choose the best job candidate.
What are the best questions to ask job candidates?
An interview is your ultimate chance to hire the best talent.
You need to ask questions that will determine not only if your candidates have that perfect combination of the right personality, skills, knowledge and experiences you are looking for, but also if they will fit in your team and your company culture.
In this blog post, we will present the selection of the 55 very best interview questions that will help you choose the best candidate for your:
- Open job position
- Company culture.
Asking these questions will save your time and effort and ensure that you successfully fulfill your assignment by finding and hiring the ideal job candidate.
Basic interview questions
Use basic interview questions to learn more about your candidates and test their knowledge and interest in your open job position.
Best basic interview questions:
- What are the three most important things we need to know about you?
- Why are you interested in this job?
- Why are you the right candidate for this position?
- Why are looking for a new job?
- How would you address (insert real-life, job-related problem)?
Employer Branding interview questions
Use Employer Branding questions to gain valuable insight into candidates’ perception of your Employer Brand.
Best Employer Branding interview questions :
- Why do you want to work at our company? / Name three things that you like the most about our company.
- How did you find out about our job opening?
- Did you get a chance to present yourself well during our selection process?
- What can we do to improve our interview process?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Analytical skills interview questions
Use analytical skills interview questions to test and measure the candidate’s ability to think logically, evaluate advantages and disadvantages and to break down and analyze data.
Best analytical skills interview questions:
- Describe a project or situation where you successfully demonstrated your analytical abilities.
- When you are faced with a problem, what do you do? Describe the steps in your problem-solving approach.
- Give me an example of a situation when you took a risk to achieve a goal. What was the outcome?
- In your experience, would you say that developing and using a detailed procedure was always necessary for your job?
- Imagine a situation in which one of your colleagues wants to solve a problem in a certain way, but the other colleague has a totally different approach in mind. They come to you asking for help in deciding on the right approach. What do you do?
Cultural fit interview questions
Use cultural fit interview questions to single out candidates whose values, beliefs and behavior fit in with your company’s culture.
Best cultural fit interview questions :
- Describe the type of work environment in which you can really give your best and be most productive.
- Did you become a really good friend with any of your colleagues at your previous (or current) workplace? What do you think about having close relationships with your coworkers? Is this a good or bad practice?
- Describe a situation where your colleagues disagreed with your ideas. What did you do?
- Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team? Please explain your answer.
- What does your ideal work day look like?
Leadership skills interview questions
Use leadership skills interview questions to identify, test and measure candidate’s leadership capabilities, experience and knowledge.